Art Therapeutic Group and Performance Art Group Criteria
We accept referrals for adults (18+) with Care Plans from all London Local Authorities as well as from the Authorities in Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Bath and North East Somerset.
This is either through Direct Payments, Personal Budgets or Spot Purchasing arrangements.
Referrals can be made by GP's, Occupational or Art Therapists, Community Mental Health Team, Support Workers, Social Workers or Psychiatrists as well as through partner agencies in the voluntary sector. We have a broad criteria as our aim is to be as inclusive and destigmatising as possible.
Our Members are people living with severe and enduring mental health needs including the following:
- Personality Disorders
- Dual diagnosis
As well as people with mild learning disabilities and/or moderate conditions including the following:
- Panic Disorder
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder
- Health Anxiety and Medically Unexplained Symptoms
- Social Phobia
- Specific Phobia
- Single incident PTSD
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Adjustment Disorder
- Low Self-Esteem
- Anger (where there is NO risk of actual physical violence to others)
- Anxiety/ depression in people with long term physical conditions
- Anxiety/ depression in carers
- Post-natal anxiety/depression
People are required to be:
- Motivated to attend and engage with the group and in artmaking in regular pattern
- A low level of risk to self and others
We cannot offer placement for people with the following as they are unlikely to benefit:
- Active risk of harm to self/ current suicidal intent or recent suicide attempt or still in crisis.
- Active risk of harm to others or recent history of violence.
- Active symptoms of psychosis or manic / hypomanic episodes
- A personality traits that would make engagement with the Studio difficult for the other members
- Drug and alcohol misuse at a level of misuse likely to prevent engagement with the studio community
- Significant psychosocial or physical health factors which prevent engagement in regular psychological therapy
- Where ongoing home visits are required.
How to refer someone or to self refer
Please complete the referral form. After completion we will arrange an initial visit to discuss the plan and complete the membership agreement.
If you are interested in becoming a member of Studio Upstairs and self-fund your attendance, please use the form on this page to arrange an initial visit. During the initial visit, we will discuss fee options.
Social Prescribing, Remote Individual Support & Groups which we run: Half Day Art Group, Creative Carers, Life Drawing and Creative Writing
Those group are also for adults (18+) yet they are aimed ar people with lower level of needs and the main aim is prevention - art for welbeing. People are usually coming through the social prescribing teams or are self referring. The groups are in 12 week blocks unless stated otherwise.
Not sure if Studio Upstairs is the appropriate service?
If you feel unsure about how someone may benefit from becoming a Studio Member please feel welcome to contact us by email to arrange a phone call with a Studio Manager (Art Therapist) to explore further.