- This event has passed.
17th Apr 2015: Introduction to Oil Painting
15th April 2015
10 weeks, every Friday: 6.00pm – 9.00pm, Studio Upstairs
This workshop programme is planned to start on 17 April 2015
Please note – places are limited, so book early to avoid disappointment!
The workshops are suitable for any adult (18+).
The aim of the sessions:
Whether you are new to oil painting or have some experience, this course will build your skills and confidence in the subject. We will explore a range of materials and processes and you will learn how to construct a pictorial image directly with the paint brush. You will be supported in interpreting your initial sketches and drawings and learn how to use them to develop a plan for a painting. We will demonstrate a range of painting techniques and you will learn to employ colour, shape, tone, luminosity and texture in the compositions that you produce. Inspiration will be drawn from painting a broad range of subjects directly from life, such as the figure, still life and familiar environments.
Workshop Leader: Errol Fernandes
Errol Fernandes is a professional artist, working as a painter, art psychotherapist and garden designer. He is a graduate of Goldsmiths, University of London and has his studio based practice in Stoke Newington. Errol is an experienced art tutor having taught at institutions including Brunel University, Victoria & Albert Museum, British Library and Tate.
His approach is contemporary, dynamic and experimental but he maintains a respect for traditional preparation and technique. He will be encouraging the participants to explore the conceptual nature of their work.
What you will learn:
• Introduction, preparation of grounds & organising your palette
• Preparation of the painting surface
• Developing sketches for a painting
• Tonal values, looking at the subject and constructing a composition directly with paint
• Positive and negative spaces within the painting
• Learning how to paint “wet on wet”
• Looking at the subject as a pictorial space.
A list of the materials will be provided for those who wish to bring their own, however there will be an option to purchase materials or sets via the Studio (such as canvas, boards, paint or brushes).
Cost: £35 per session
Studio Friends: £30 per session
Bookings to be paid in one or two advance instalments
To sign up
• Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for the booking form and further details
• Studio Team, Volunteers or Members – please contact the office directly