We believe in artistic practice as a valuable way to create meaning and purpose in life, leading from isolation to community
Our mission is to provide holistic support to people who are experiencing enduring mental or emotional difficulties so that they can re-create their reasons and purpose for living, find new ways to live and experience a better quality of life.
The ambition of the charity is to create a network of sustainable, safe, local studios available to all who need them, as and when they need them.
Achieve long term stability and improved wellbeing for Studio Members
- Provide education and therapeutic support in a flexible and considered way
- Provide supporting community environments, time and emotional space which allows members to experience a sense of safety and belonging
- Explore existing relationships and habits and encourage healthier alternatives
- Provide early intervention to prevent relapse
- Work in partnership with other services whilst maintaining independence
Support people towards more autonomy and in the development of a creative identity
- Provide access to shared studios, range of art materials and facilities where members, studio managers and volunteers practise and discuss their art together on an equal basis
- Provide art education to individuals too vulnerable to participate in mainstream educational institutions
- Encourage members to take more responsibility by using their own creativity as a catalyst for personal change and to develop their own practice as artists
- Enhance the capacity of members for critical and constructive reflection on their own art
Challenge the stigma and prejudice projected on to those experiencing mental and emotional distress and help them escape the labels and linear parameters of society
- Take part in public campaigns against prejudice and in advocacy projects
- Involve members in the day to day running of the organisation
- Create opportunities for professional development including training and volunteering
- Seek to prevent social isolation and to return people to mainstream education, voluntary and paid work
Enjoy this film about Studio Upstairs.
Directed/Produced/Edited Finian Pye Vogel
Camera: Finian Pye Vogel/ Jess Bartam
Dubbing Mixer: Lukas Greiwe
Music Composition: Tom Moore